7 Best Heatmap Tools In 2022
It’s 2022, customer experience is one of the cornerstones of businesses to make sure that their visitors are getting a good user experience.
Knowing how the site visitors are experiencing your site and which part of the website they click on. Monitoring such metrics proves to be rewarding for businesses as well as for audiences.
Besides getting their feedback through a form or an email, there is no manual way to know if the site visitors are getting a good experience.
So, how do you find if your CTAs are placed in the right position? Or where do your visitors spend most of the time?
The short answer is; Heatmap tools.
Heatmap tools are the software that tracks and helps understand the user’s behavior. With a heatmap tool, you can find how users have interacted with your content.
It lets you find where users are clicking, scrolling and hovering their mouse on specific pages.
This way, you can find the best place to position your CTAs, sidebars, placement of header and footer, and how various elements work on the webpage.
Read our guide on Website Heatmap tools to get a better understanding of this software.
How does a heatmap work for website?
Heatmap tools are easier to understand because they show the data in the form of a color version.
The area of the page that gets the most attention is shown in warmer colors and the area that gets the least attention is shown in cooler colors. Thus, the color code in a heatmap ranges from red to green.
In a webpage, the section that gains the most attention is displayed in red and the section that gets the moderate attention gets displayed in yellow and orange color.
The section that gets the least attention is displayed in blue, purple, or green color.
The heatmap contains some tools for analyzing the user’s behavior.
- Click Map: Click Map represents the section of a page where the user clicks the most. This way, businesses can identify the buttons or links that are clicked the most. Click Map helps in deciding the placement of CTAs and links on a webpage.
- Hover map: These tools identify the areas where the user moves their mouse too often. Site owners can identify the areas where to place the useful links.
- Scroll Map: Scroll Map is one of the most useful tools for identifying the length of your webpage. How long a blog page or a business page should be? Using the colored heatmaps, you can identify the average page length.
- Confetti Reports: These reports work much the same way as the thermal weather reports. Confetti reports display the screen as a thermal image where the red color shows the area with the most clicks and the green areas display the section with the least click.
- Session Recording: Using the heatmap tools, you can record every session on your website. Thus, the session recording feature can help identify the areas where users may find it frustrating and how long they are active on a page.
Well, these are some most important features of website heatmap tools, but there is a lot that these tools can do.
The list of best heatmap tools will give you a more detailed insight into its features, pros, and cons.
Best heatmap tools in 2022
Now that we have covered what is a Heatmap and how it can help you improve the user experience on your website, let’s look at the list of 7 best heatmap tools available in the market:
Hotjar is one of the most recognized user experience platforms that offers various tools for analyzing user behavior.
It is fairly easy to use where the heatmaps are shown as active and passive. Hotjar can track various metrics such as movement maps, scroll maps and click maps on the web page.
Furthermore, it also lets you record the user sessions.
You can also split the website heatmaps by device and tag users for triggers and actions. Similarly, you can also track the form submissions and see what part of the page the user bounced back.
- Conversion tracking with sales funnel mapping
- Tracks individual user behavior.
- Creates feedback polls with various questions and surveys.
- User tagging options.
- Multi-device support
- GDPR and CCPA compliant.
- Offers free trial.
- Heatmaps can also be downloaded and shared.
- You can create notes on the heatmaps and also add timestamps to the recording.
- You have control over the duration of session recording and the recording only when a specific action is performed.
- Offers various third-party integrations.
- Not so affordable for small to medium businesses.
- There is no integration with Google Analytics.
- Heatmap is not dynamic as you need to manually refresh and capture website layout
Crazyegg is yet another popular heatmap provider that is mostly used by WordPress site owners. It offers features like click heatmaps, mouse cursor heatmaps, and scroll heatmaps.
Crazyegg is best known for its confetti heatmap reports. Confetti reports give a segmentation of how users from social media, search engines, or other sources of traffic interact with your site.
It offers an easy-to-install WordPress plugin offering overlay mapping and list mapping.
Crazy Egg also gives snapshots of a web page over a particular period of time. You can use these snapshots as benchmarks and analyze the engagement at various points in time.
With list mapping-like features, you can also determine the clicks on the number, percentage, and each type of page element.
- It gives different metrics for different business types. For example, Crazzyegg gives metrics like tracking ad placement on eCommerce. On the other hand, education sites have slightly different metrics.
- You can add team members to your dashboard.
- Offers auto-optimization of the web pages as suited to the user’s best experience.
- It records confetti snapshots or reports in the form of images and visuals.
- The A/B testing feature creates an easy test and page set up to check which one works better.
- Creates detailed user reports that consist of confetti reports, scroll maps, and hover maps.
- Offers integration with WordPress and Shopify
- 30-day free trial
- You get the flexibility to customize the tool as you grow.
- There are a lot of ways to assess heatmaps in the tool.
- As the number of visitors increases, pricing may get expensive.
- No monthly subscription plans, they force you to take up their annual plan.
- No feedback and survey features, need to rely on third-party tools to collect UX feedback
Howuku is a new and promising heatmap tool in the market. The tool has all the features that a product and marketing team would need to map the user experience.
Howuku gives you a detailed insight into user behavior in real-time. It has all the data at your fingertips so that you can iterate continuously and focus on the most impactful features.
The best part is that you don’t need to have a knack for coding in order to use this heatmap tool. Furthermore, you can make web page personalizations based on geolocations.
You would get all the data and details on the event and session recording on the sidebar of the screen.
Howuku provides real-time A/B testing or split testing to test which version of a webpage works better.
Besides this, it also helps businesses dive into the conversion funnel and drill down the major areas of improvement.
You can also automate the engagement through emails, SMS, or other means whenever a specific event occurs.
What sets it apart from others is its intuitive feedback widget that enhances user engagement and helps collect the most descriptive user feedback.
- Session recording with the time interval.
- It gives on-site survey forms that collect feedback and experience in real-time.
- Easy to use traffic analysis that breaks down visitors' insight into the source, country, bounce rate, etc.
- The web analytics feature tracks major KPIs like site traffic, bounce rate, top pages, and others.
- 14-day free trial
- Offer the most comprehensive set of optimization features including A/B testing, feedback, heatmaps, recordings and etc.
- You can use it for unlimited projects or websites
- It also offers a demo dashboard so that you can test each of these tools.
- It gives API integration with over 200 marketing tools.
- Howuku pricing is much more SME-friendly.
- Still a newbie in the market.
- The addition of native integration features would make it even easier to use.
As you land on their homepage, you will realize the major objective of this tool. Mouseflow can be helpful in determining why your customers aren’t converting into sales.
This website heatmap tool records every session to help understand the pain points, boost conversions and auto-optimize your site.
In addition to this, you can set clear conversion goals so that you can be sure that you are working in the right direction.
One of the USPs of Mouseflow is that it records user activities anonymously and displays the trend in an easy format. Mouseflow also records the individual activities with a focus on highlighting the friction points.
Various heatmap tools do not track mobile websites. This is where Mouseflow takes the edge. You can sort the events by filters like browser, duration, page count, language, location, operating system, pages viewed, and more.
- Offers a live demo of the dashboard.
- The friction score gives the score of frustrated users on the website.
- Mouseflow also offers various analysis and optimization tools like form optimization and survey analysis tools to find what’s killing the conversion rates.
- You can also replay the real sessions of the users who add to the cart and abandon.
- You can figure out the new and returning visitors.
- It gives another feature that shows how users will respond to the forms and pop-ups.
- It displays 6 types of heatmaps to clearly display what’s working on the site.
- Mouseflow also comes with a machine learning tool for smart mapping.
- You can also create the funnels and analyze where the users started and where they ended.
- Many times, the images and text sizes won’t render correctly.
- There have been a few bugs in the tool and incompatibility with the JAVA code.
My list of best website heatmap tools is incomplete without this one. Lucky Orange is a leader in website heatmap tools.
They claim to be the first fully-integrated heatmap tool that creates heatmaps in real-time while the visitors are browsing your site.
LuckyOrange has a conversion funnel tool that highlights the pain points of your site visitors so that you can make the changes needed to convert audiences into customers.
It also finds how long the users have spent on the page and how far down they have scrolled. You can also find out the source of traffic for the individual visitors.
You can easily install Lucky Orange on your site by automatic insertion of tracking codes.
Lucky Orange gives a deeper insight with its form analytics feature where you can analyze metrics like field order and time, abandonment, and others.
Lucky Orange allows individual visitor profiling where you can track each visitor, the time spent, and interaction with various elements on the page. LuckyOrange’s report allows you to check for various metrics on your website.
You can filter the data by using factors such as location, device type, and data.
- Easy user segmentation feature.
- Analyzes the visitor movement from top to bottom of the funnel and record the drop-off stage.
- You can speed up or slow down the session recording.
- Intelligent triggers show specific actions of your visitors
- It displays the thermal maps for clicks, scrolls, and movements.
- Full control of the dashboard.
- Poll and survey analytics features.
- Compare user segments between two sessions.
- Get day-by-day or week-by-week tracking of user behavior.
- 7-day free trial.
- Pricing plans increase with the number of users.
- Some elements of the dashboard are hard to navigate.
SmartLook is a website heatmap tool designed for both mobile apps and websites. It can filter the users on various factors like device, location, and other factors.
Smartlook allows user segmentation and individual session recordings. It uses 30 different filters to break down the data and use these factors in translating the user behavior.
The web analytics tool filters the data via events and offers statistics, event breakdowns, and various other metrics to calculate the user experience.
- You can get a comprehensive heatmap from the retroactive data.
- It identifies the users via cookies.
- User segmentation of heatmaps.
- You can also create funnel triggers based on various events.
- Smartlook lets you create retention tables with just one click.
- Session recording comes with advanced filtering options.
- Heatmaps can be downloaded or shared via links.
- You can watch replays of any bugs and errors to find what caused them.
- Easy to use dashboard.
- You can tag visitors with the Smartlook API.
- The free trial comes with various limitations.
- You can’t tag sessions here.
Inspectlet has come out with an eye-tracking heatmap tool along with the conventional heatmap tools. This means that the tool can track the clicks on your website along with the movement of the mouse cursor.
The mouse scroll and movement give a better idea of what content visitors are curious to know about.
Inspectlet also records the user activity on your site right from their arrival to various steps that user takes to find their desired product.
- You can tag sessions and users to identify what triggered the action.
- Their A/B split testing tool shows two versions of the webpage where CTAs. hero text or color may vary. It shows one version to half the visitors and the second version to the other half.
- It offers a feedback widget called Netback Survey scores that collect unbiased feedback from the site visitors.
- Inspectlet offers smart and mature filtering options to filter the type of visitors and what they are interested in.
- Quick setup and easy installation on the website.
- Affordable for small and medium-sized businesses.
- Offers a comprehensive click tracking function.
- The free plan offers up to 25,000 page views per month.
- Checks for any error logs.
- Recording sessions can be stored for 60 days only.
- Complicated dashboard
Conclusion: Best heatmap tools in 2022
It is common for businesses to be confused about the role of design in website marketing.
While it may seem like a lot of money and time, an effective design can make all the difference between a successful and unsuccessful conversion.
Even if your site has all the aesthetic design elements, visually attractive images, and perfect branding, it may be hard to tell what’s restricting the conversions. That’s when a heatmap tool can turn out to be a savior.
This was our pick of the best heatmap tools to use for improving the site experience and increasing conversions.
Supercharge your startup growth with Howuku
More from the blog
Comparison & Review
Bing Clarity offers deep insights into user engagement, allowing you to make data-driven decisions to improve your website's performance.